Thursday, January 26, 2012

36 weeks!

Monday was my 36 week mark, and a few days earlier, was the offical start of the 1 month countdown! Holy cow. I am going to be a mom in less than a month. I am really starting to get nervous about labor and delivery. I'm terrifed of needing to have a c-section. For some reason, the entire time I've been pregnant, I've had this irrational fear of sharp objects. I don't even like to walk around the house with scissors. I just have these really vivid images of me falling and stabbing myself. I mean, I'm so clumsy lately, that wouldn't be that big of a surprise. So, I make sure everything is pointed away from me, and I am really careful. With that said, you can only imagine how scared and disappointed I would be to need to deliver surgically. It is probably a silly fear to have, but surgery just freaks me out. But, I know that doctors really only give c-sections when the safety of the baby is in jeaporady, so I guess I will just have to suck it up and roll with the punches.

On the other hand, thinking about my lady bits exploding during a regular delivery is equally scary. I'm planning on getting an epidural, but it is mostly the recovery I'm nervous about. All the bleeding, pain, swelling, tearing, discomfort and general gross-ness of the entire process makes me cringe. I'm pretty positive that I won't even look down there for a few weeks. I don't want to scar myself for life. I mean, there are some things you can't un-see. Bobby has also made a stern promise that he won't actually look at what is going on with my nether-regions during birth. He is going to hold my hand, and not my leg. If I can't even stomach the idea of turning inside out, I can only imagine how he feels about seeing that gruesome sight. No one needs to see that.

Other than that, time is SLOWLY chugging by. Only 9 days of work left, and  25 days until my due date. I'm becoming really impatient and anxious, but I think that is mostly my hormones. I'm trying really hard to not be a complete basket case, but as Bobby can testify to, not sure my efforts are going so well. :[

This week, baby Gunner is 18.75 inches long, 5.75 pounds and the size of a crenshaw melon (whatever the heck that is!)

Actually, I asked my doctor how big he thought the baby would be if I delivered at full term, and he said 8 - 81/2 pounds. On average at this point in a pregnancy, babies gain about a 1/2 pound a week, so it looks like my son is about 6 - 6 1/2 pounds. Little chunkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment