Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hold them close

I've been relucant to write about this topic, because I've already spent so much time crying and being completely devastated that I didn't even want to think about it anymore.

Last week on Veteran's day, my dear friends lost their baby due to a freak act of nature. She was 7 1/2 months along, and quite possibly the best parent-to-be I've ever met.

Being pregnant myself, it was especially hard to hear the news and for a while, I was in denial about what had even happened. Everyone knows that miscarriges are really common the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, but no one ever hears about such a late stage loss. Either that, or they don't want to talk about it.

My heart is completely broken for my friends, and I can't even imagine what they must be going through. I'm just so bewildered, angry, in shock and depressed about the whole situation. It really makes you think about how lucky you are to have each and every healthy day. I'm just so confused why horrible things happen to wonderful people. Why do so many irresponsible, unworthy parents have healthy children, pop them out one after another, when loving, stable and kind people get the shit end of the stick? It doesn't make any sense. I always thought that everything happens for a reason, but I don't see any justification in this. Its so incredibly unfair.

It goes without saying, that I'm never going to complain about any pregnancy symptom again. Every time my little guy kicks me in the ribs, I'm going to smile and be grateful that he is still with me, and is strong. Every time I have to get lab work or other blood tests done, I'll say thank you, because it means I have good medical care, and my child is being watched over. Every time I gain another pound, I'm going to feel happy because it means my little man is growing. Things like this really make you look twice at your blessings, and make you realize how short and precious life really is.

Every day, I'm going to send love, support and kindness their way, and hope that they know that this was not their fault, and the chances of anything like this happening again are one in a billion. I know that when they decide to try again, they will be the best parents, and probably love their kid all the more. The baby they lost will always be remembered, and always be such a huge part of all of our lives.

So, all you mamas out there, hold your babies extra close. You don't know how lucky you are to have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment