Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Baby & Me Classes

Since Gunner was 2 weeks old, I've been attending Baby & Me Classes at the New Parent Resource Center, and I have to say, it was the best money and time I ever spent. Not only do I get the chance to meet other moms that have babies within a few weeks of Gunner, I get educated on a ton of important subjects. It also gives me an excuse to get out of the house once a week, which has been somewhat of a challenge.

The topics they cover in the class are things like sleep training, adjusting to parenthood, infant massage, crying, brain development, and newborn care. Most of the things I'm learning, I'm already halfway doing, or already halfway noticing, but it really gives me great perspective, and puts the pieces of the baby-puzzle together. At least 3 times per class, I have a "doh" moment, and ideas just sort of click. I feel like I can handle the challenges of motherhood a little bit better with a bit of knowledge.

In class a few weeks ago, they covered brain development, and apparently, crying between the hours of 6 and 8 PM is not only normal, but completely necessary. It has something to do with their nervous systems being wound up, and needing to get all of that energy out, to prepare for the next day of development. So, now, when Gunner is being fussy at this time of night, somehow knowing that it is normal, and knowing that the end is in sight, it makes it a little more tolerable.

On another note, it has been really neat to see other babies in the same age range grow and develop at different rates over the weeks. It is so interesting to see how every baby is different and how early their personalities come out. Even hearing the different pitches of their cries just blows my mind. Everyone in my class has commented on how big Gunner is for his age, and how well behaved he is. Usually, he sleeps during the class, and when we get home i feed him and we play on a blanket on the floor, which is really nice. These classes are a great way to break up the day, and I'm really sad there are only 6 weeks worth of topics.

I think Gunner might really like these classes too!



No comments:

Post a Comment